Are Those Pretty White Composite Fillings in Your Mouth Safe?

Some patients believe they are “safe” because they have white “composite” fillings. Mercury is the most toxic of all materials placed in patients’ mouths, but even “white” fillings can contain metals or other materials that can damage a patient’s health.  For that reason, holistic dentists will run biocompatibility tests to determine materials that work best with each patient.

Biocompatibility tests are also advisable because a patient can have an actual allergy to dental materials that may be placed in your mouth. This is different than metal toxicity – some people are allergic to some metals and can have an allergic reaction completely different than reactions caused by metal toxicity.

Most traditional dentists don’t believe in or simply don’t know about biocompatibility testing and they will not test you to see if the materials they use will cause a reaction when placed in your body. This is also true of many dentists advertising they are “mercury-free”; they may not use mercury in the fillings they place but they may also not test to find out the materials right for each individual patient. Your dentist should at least advise that you be tested for potential allergens prior to even placing a filling.

Making sure your dentist does not use mercury fillings, properly removing any mercury you have, and making sure the materials placed in your mouth are right for you is an important step in maintaining your overall good health, helping to prevent serious health issues, or helping your body to heal from any current health issues you may have.